One of the most important rules of marketing is to understand the customer. In the case of social media marketing, using basic psychology to understand your customer’s thought process can help you provide better content and increase social engagement. Applying these 5 psychological principles to your content strategy will help boost customer interaction on social media:
1) Social proof - You can increase your traffic by 50% just from social proof. In the field of psychology, social proof is the concept that people will conform to the actions of others under the assumption that those actions are reflective of the correct behavior. So when potential clients see others positively interacting with your brand, they're more likely to engage with the brand. Encourage people to leave reviews and share the positive ones.
2) Brand personality - The more "human-like brands become, the more likely they are to gain interaction. Take Flo from Progressive ,for example, when Progressive made Flo the face for their social media outlets their follower count grew by a whopping 120,000. To connect with customers on this level, share team photos, choose a mascot, or let customers connect with clients one-on-one by using their real first names.
3) Laughter - When you make someone laugh, endorphins are released in that person’s brain, which makes them happier and literally changes their perspective of the world. Put some humor in your content by talking about something relatable and don't take yourself too seriously!
4) Reciprocity - People love getting free stuff, and they’ll often return the favor by engaging with you and even making a purchase. That’s what makes social media contests and giveaways so effective—people want cool swag. Here are a few ways you can show reciprocity: give away exclusive free trials to your social media follower, send handwritten thank-you letters to your top engagers (bonus points if you send stickers), share your followers’ blog posts and tag them, and comment on, like, and share your fan’s social media posts (this is a two-way street, after all).
5) Influencers- Influencers are the social media stars. They have a large follower base with constant engagement. According to psychology, Studies show that we value the opinions of people we perceive as most like us, and we tend to liken ourselves to the influencers we follow (and take action based on their actions). Connect with influencers relevant to your brand and be ready to provide engagement and follower count.
If you're having trouble boosting engagement on your social media accounts, it's time consider alternative ways of thinking . Step into the mind of your consumers and gain new followers by using these five tactics.